This was a big challenge, create a new tax and accounting cloud platform with more than 100 modules regarding different kind of taxes, focusing all type of activities fields. One of the main pain points of the legacy platform was the system complexity, it was a big journey to reduce it.
The main objective of this project was to create a platform with the main products of the Tax and Accounting Software division, these products were destined for tax calculation and the sending of federal, regional and municipal tax liabilities to the government. All this in a cloud environment, with web and mobile access.

There was already a legacy product in a desktop platform, developed more than 20 years ago, that was market leader, and what we wanted here was to create a new platform to replace this, giving the best possible experience to the users, as well as new features.

Customers of the legacy product were large companies, 80% of the largest multinationals in Brazil used this product. The product was divided into more than 100 modules, representing legal obligations (taxes), federal, municipal and state.

UX Process used on Thomson Reuters Tax and Account Platform

One of the main challenges of the project is that because it deals with different types users working with the taxes activities, it is common for companies to divide the use of these taxes modules among various departments with different user profiles. Mapping the profiles of all possible user types was complicated, because of the time and number of possible profile types. And it might influence the decisions on the product impacting information architecture, screens iterations, and other important points.
After the interviews with several user profiles, I realized that there was a pattern, regardless of the department in which the product was used, so I created the personas with the following user profiles were:
- Technical user, who did the implementation and configuration of the product
- User importing data from ERPs
- User who verified that the validation of the data went well and sent to the government
- User who checked the dashboards totaling all the shipments that had been made to the government and their feedback.
We realized after some researches, the type of use defined on the personas above was detected in more than 85% of companies consulted. ​​​​​​​

Example of Proto Persona created for the project

Profiles could also be refined through some surveys that were sent to all users of the legacy product, as well as helping to identify quirks about how users configured and used some functionalities of the product.
To make it still more precise, I did some Contextual analysis, selecting some users and observing how they used the current product, which menus they used, where they found the information needed to configure the product etc... this filled a few gaps.

To help refine ideas about the new product, features, configuration methods, and others, I promoted some Design Thinking sessions, which were also very useful for creating User Journeys and User Scenarios of the project.

Example of User Scenario, we created a lot of them to understand all the possibilities of interaction and accomplish all the business goals.

Example of User Journey, these documents was created based on the legacy Product to understand all the pain points, and good points,
and after we create new ones regarding only the new Platform

Based on the initial prototypes created in the Design Thinking session and all the other information already collected so far, I created the wireframes to do the first tests, validating the ideas. And after that, I created the first style guide, which was extremely useful for the development of High Fidelity Prototypes.
Once these prototypes were already advanced, start creating a Design System to help create new screens and maintenance. When there was a clear screens pattern, I delegated the 2 UI designers to continue with the creation of the screens, and I continued to validate.

Wireframes for the mobile versions, the project was created with Mobile First concept.

These wireframes was used to discuss the ideas with all members of the team and to test the concepts with the users.

The usability tests were performed in person and remote, some with wireframes and others in high fidelity prototypes, depending on the time available in each sprint, and the moment of the project. The results of the tests were analyzed continuously, making the necessary improvements in the prototypes and revising the KPIs,
Development and Launch
When the product was developed, I supported the engineers about all possible questions that might arise and negotiated on technical issues of the project that had to be adapted, trying to find the best solution for the users. After Go Live were made more usability tests to ensure that nothing had escaped at the end of the process and also analyzed the KPIs to ensure that the goals were being met.
My Role

- Gathered requirements
- Interview Users and Stakeholders
- Produced UX deliverables, Personas, User Scenarios, User Journey, Wireframes etc...
- Created prototypes for usability testing
- Conducted usability testing sessions
- Presented prototypes to middleware and development teams for technical validation
- Worked closely with senior stakeholders to ensure alignment and buy-in of design direction
- Software renewal rate increased by 30%, with customers pointing to ease of use of the new platform as one of the main reasons for

- 40% of reduction doubts about the use of the new platform in relation to the legacy product.
- More than 80% of customers said they were delighted with the ease of use of the platform.
Back to Top